In 2016, for the first time, City of Gold Coast extended the invitation to creative groups, designers, artists, planners, local university students and the local community of the Gold Coast to engage in the event that took place on Friday 16 September 2016.
Visit the image gallery to view photos from the event.
PARK locations and details
|1||Armstrong Architects||Eclectic gnomery||52 Griffith Street, Coolangatta||Bay (9407) outside Sea Wish next to pedestrian crossing (centre of The Strand shopping centre)|
|2||BAL/The City||Park 'n' Party||Main Place - 2711 Gold Coast Highway, Broadbeach||Two bays outside 6729 Bakery and coffee, next to the pedestrian crossing from the Broadbeach North light rail station|
|3||Griffith University||Environmentally conscious space||Nobbys Beach, Gold Coast Highway||Bay (6090) outside Gourmet Meats (off the Highway)|
|4||No Bonds||Chill bay||240 Varsity Parade, Varsity Lakes||Two bays outside the Blackboard Coffee|
|5||Griffith University||Green, reused, recycled pop up park||12 Railway Street, Southport||Bay (1265) outside Lifeline|
|6||Griffith University||Interior space||17 Nind Street, Southport||Bay (1305) outside the Salvos Store (Salvation Army)|
|7||Griffith University||Slingshot||136 Scarborough Street, Southport||Bay (2208) outside the Good Games shop|
|8||Griffith University||Mind, body and soul||128 Scarborough Street, Southport||Bay (2231) outside Shanti Yoga Studio|
|9||Griffith University||Hospitality hub||2 Nerang Street, Southport||Bay (2133) in Nerang Street Mall|
|10||Griffith University||Chinatown||58 Young Street, Southport||Bay (3957) outside Australia Fair West|
|11||Griffith University||Structural relaxation zone||62 Garden Street, Southport||Bay (3928) near corner of Garden Street and Young Street|
|12||Griffith University||Flowering relaxation||3 Short Street, Southport||Bay (3563) near Cancer Council|
|13||Griffith University||Interactive leisure space||10 Lawson Street, Southport||Bay (3613) outside the Australian Red Cross|
|14||Village Bike Gold Coast (Inc)||A sea of bikes||20 Philippine Parade, Palm Beach||Bay outside bread cake pies bakery (Laguna Lakes shops)|
Participants were provided with the event information below:
How to PARK guide
- Make a team
- Consider your location
- Slow speed/high pedestrian preferable
- Design your PARK space
- The intent of PARK(ing) Day is to inspire creativity and transform spaces to demonstrate alternative uses and the types of outcomes that encourage the community to rethink the use of high value on-street parking spaces as engaging public active spaces. Remember this is a temporary activation so if you can get it in, you have to be able to get it out.
Coupled with avoiding offensive content and safety risks to participants and the general public, PARK(ing) Day is a non-commercial event and should align with Rebar copyright, i.e. "PARK(ing) Day is a non-commercial event. No PARK(ing) Day Participant may use, or allow others to use, its PARK(ing) Day Installation, or any derivative works of that Installation (including but not limited to websites, blogs, photographs or video footage) to make specific offers for goods or services, or to offer specific promotions, discounts, or coupons, whether related to PARK(ing) Day or not, without the prior written consent of Rebar."
- Apply for a bay (closed 19 August 2016)
- Attend the participants planning meeting.
On the day
- City to set up traffic safety at registered bays
- Bump in*
- PARK bay to be ready and open for visitors between 9am and 2pm.
- PARK bay set up must be within the allotted bay space only, with no obstructions to adjacent businesses, motorists or pedestrian movement.
- Be prepared to engage the general public, motorists, press and authorities in a respectful manner and explain PARK(ing) Day.
- Take lots of photos and upload to Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Bump out*
- Ensure all temporary structures and props are removed.
- Each team is responsible to leave the bay in a clean and tidy manner and are liable for any additional cleaning works.
- Once bay is packed away, stack witches hats and signage adjacent to bay (not in front of shop entrance or pedestrian walkway).
- City to remove traffic safety measures at registered bays (3pm to 5pm)
- Celebrate the first ever community engaged PARK(ing) Day on the Gold Coast.
*Bump in and bump out to be in accordance with the City's Workplace Health and Safety risk assessment.
For more information about the event held in 2016, please contact City Place Making.