Carer parking permits
Carer parking permits are available for volunteer and unpaid carers who provide care or assistance to a particular person at a specific location within a time-regulated parking area. The permit allows the carer attending the residence to park in the vicinity of the residence for an unlimited period of time (non-metered parking space only), subject to conditions.
Note: This permit differs from a residential care service parking permit which is a permit available for carers who are employed by, or contracted to, an approved home care service provider. A separate application form applies for a residential care service parking permit. A single permit only may be granted.
Conditions of use for carer parking permits are provided on the correspondence provided with your label, and are as follows:
- The permit must be displayed in a clearly visible location inside the vehicle on the left hand side of the front dash of the vehicle.
- The permit is valid for use only whilst the holder is actively engaged in providing the services of a carer:
- for the person identified in the application for the permit, and
- at the address of the residence of the person being cared for, as identified in the application for the permit.
- The permit is not valid for use in a metered space or where parking is prohibited.
- The vehicle must be parked in the vicinity of the residence identified in the permit.
- The permit is not valid for a long vehicle, motorbike, trailer or heavy vehicle.
- The permit must not be copied or reproduced.
To be eligible for a permit, the carer must not reside at the same premises as the person being cared for. Only one parking permit is able to be granted for the residence.
No fees apply.
Apply for a new permit
You must be the carer (unpaid or volunteer) to apply for the permit and the residence where you provide care or assistance must be within a time-regulated parking area. A carer parking permit must not have already been granted for the residence.
- If you reside with the person you are caring for, you are not eligible to apply for a carer's parking permit. You may however be eligible for a resident parking permit.
- If you care for a number of people that live at different locations, you will need to apply for a permit for each location - only one location may be nominated on a permit, and the permit is specific to that location.
- Only one parking permit is able to be granted for a residence. If a permit has already been issued for a particular residence any further permit applications will not be accepted.
Before completing the application form you will need to know:
- the street address or Lot and RP (parcel) number of the residence of the person requiring care or assistance.
You will also need:
- if you are recognised by, or a member of a carer’s association:
- written evidence from the carer’s association advising that you are recognised by, or are a member of, the carer’s association, or
- if you are not recognised by, or a member of, a carer’s association:
- a statutory declaration from you declaring that you provide in a non-contractual and unpaid capacity, ongoing care or assistance to the person nominated on the application, who because of disability, frailty, chronic illness or pain, requires assistance with everyday tasks, and
- a statutory declaration from a medical practitioner, declaring that the person nominated on the application because of disability, frailty, chronic illness or pain, requires assistance with everyday tasks.
This supporting documentation is required to ensure that permits are issued only to carers who meet the criteria detailed in Subordinate Local Law No.2 (Regulated Parking) 2006.
- I am a volunteer / unpaid carer
- I know the street address and/or Lot and RP number
- I have all the required documents ready.
Submit online form
Instructions for submitting online form:
- Location search - enter the property address of the premises where you will provide your ongoing care or assistance, and click search.
- Select your property from the search results and click next.
- Identify applicable parties – add details for the licensee and click next.
- Licensee is the person (carer) applying for the permit
- Complete the remaining permit details, attach the required supporting information and submit.
Complete the downloadable version of the carer parking permit application form below.
Change an existing permit
If you have any further queries, please contact us on:
Phone: 1300 GOLDCOAST or 07 5582 8211
Return to top