banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Change to ground level

This type of application is associated with the undertaking of earthworks on residential, commercial or industrial allotments where such earthworks are not considered to be incidental to building works. Retaining walls on individual lots are considered to be building works and cannot be Operational Works.

Works are finalised by the issue of a practical completion certificate or a letter is sent from the Contributed Assets section accepting practical completion.

An application for the undertaking of earthworks for a new residential estate will generally be assessed within a Civil engineering - works for infrastructure application as bulk earthwork and would not require a separate application for change to ground level.

City Plan notates those works that are assessable requiring an approval or accepted and can be undertaken without specific City of Gold Coast approval. All earthworks proposed or undertaken on any floodplain require an application to the City to ensure there is no loss of flood storage or any blocking of major conveyance flow paths.

Where the undertaking of earthworks within a lot is associated with and incidental to the construction of retaining structures, such works are considered to be building works and are not Operational Works and approval is required from a Building Certifier.

For any questions regarding lodgement, please contact the Planning Enquiries Centre on 07 5582 8708.

Refer to the forms and applications section below for links to the forms and to apply online.

For application fees see our Register of fees and charges.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page