banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Material change of use


A material change of use is applicable when the way a property is being used is altered. An example of a material change of use would be:

  • when a vacant block of land changes to have a dwelling on it
  • when a dwelling house changes to be a multiple dwelling on it.

When is a material change of use required?

A material change of use development application is required when there is:

  • the start of a new use of the premises; or
  • the re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned; or
  • a material change in the intensity of scale of the use of the premises.

Development application information

Refer to frequently asked questions below for more information about application requirements.

Refer to the forms and applications section below for links to the forms and to apply online.

For applications fees see our register of fees and charges.

If you believe that someone is conducting an illegal business or one which does not comply with the conditions of its approval, you can report it online.

For any enquiries related to approvals for the use of a premises for short term accommodation please contact the Planning Enquiries Centre on 07 5582 8708 for more information.

Related information

Jump to key information
  • Do infrastructure charges apply?

    Infrastructure charges vary depending on where the development is located and what previous contributions have been paid. For more information, visit the Infrastructure contributions page.

  • Which infrastructure forms are not required for a material change of use application?

     Infrastructure charges forms are not required for the following applications:

    • Work from home
    • Preliminary applications
  • What are the requirements for a properly made application?

    The development application must be:

    • submitted in the approved form to the assessment manager, and
    • accompanied by:
      • the documents required under the form (must be attached to, or given with, the application)
      • the written consent of the owner of the premises which is the subject of the application (Note: the State Government has an applicant template with the information required for obtaining owner's consent from an individual and/or company)
      • the required fee. Refer to for the regulatory fees and charges.


  • What are the owner’s consent requirements?

    All current registered owners must provide written consent.

    Advisory notes:

    • Where a change of ownership of the premises has occurred within the last six (6) months, a copy of the solicitor’s letter or title documentation advising the transfer date is recommended to be submitted with the application.
    • Where a power of attorney has been granted authority to sign for an owner, a certified/signed copy of the power of attorney documentation including dealing numbers is recommended to be submitted with the application.

    Where the owner is a company or corporation, written consent is required as follows:

    1. the ACN number; and
    2. the names, titles and signature(s) of
      • two directors of the company, or
      • a director and the company secretary, or
      • the sole director plus written confirmation that the company has only one director.

    Where the owner includes a body corporate, written consent is required as follows:

    1. the body corporate seal; and
    2. body corporate
      • resolution providing written consent to the making of the application, including the names, titles and signature(s) of the chairperson and one member, or
      • letter of written consent to the making of the application including the names, titles and signature(s) of the chairperson and the secretary, or
      • letter of written consent to the making of the application from each lot/unit owner included in the body corporate.

    Other ownership arrangements

    • Leased land – the lessors of the land must give owner’s consent.
    • Dedicated parkland – the owner or the trustee, within the terms of the trust or reserve, must give owner’s consent.
  • How should I prepare my attachments for submitting online?

    The attachments you prepare for online lodgement to City of Gold Coast should include a maximum of four (4) attached PDF files – forms, supporting documents, plans and specialist reports (for hard copy lodgement these should be saved to a disc or USB).

    Combine each attachment as one single PDF document and name the PDF file. See example as follows:

    • Forms 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf
    • Supporting documents 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf
    • Plans 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf
    • Specialist reports 24 Black Street Nerang.pdf

    Do not password protect the PDF documents for lodgement.

    Depending on the application type, all four sections may not need to be provided.

    In addition to the digital copy of the submission, for hard copy lodgement only you may also provide the City with:

    • One (1) hard copy of planning documentation
    • Two (2) sets of plans – scaled in A3

    Note: There is a total 20 megabyte size limit for all attachments to be uploaded via the online form. If your documents exceed this limit, they can be lodged separately by requesting a Dropbox link from

  • What supporting documentation should be submitted with my application?

    Supporting documents

    • Planning assessment report
    • Proposal details including covering letter, site analysis plan, planning assessment report, any alternate outcomes proposed and conclusion (if impact assessable address the Strategic framework)
    • Economic needs analysis (material change of use only)
    • Visual impact analysis (material change of use only)
    • Provide a photo montage or perspective of the proposed development
    • City Plan codes – relevant to the subject site and the proposed development:
      • State-wide codes
      • Overlay codes
      • Zone codes
      • Development/use codes

    Code templates are available from our City plan code templates page. The relevance of these codes can be identified by using the City Plan interactive mapping tool.

    Plans and drawings

    Material change of use

    • Floor plans and elevations
    • Site plan
    • Site analysis plan

    Reconfiguring a lot

    • Subdivisional proposal plan (site plan)
    • Slope analysis plan
    • Building envelope plan
    • Proposed earthworks plan
    • Site analysis plan
    • Other drawings/photographs relevant to the development

    Specialist reports

    As required to support the development application in accordance with the City Plan, e.g.:

    • Statement of landscape intent
    • Bushfire management plan
    • Waste management
    • Acoustic report
    • Traffic impact assessment
    • Stormwater management plan
    • Effluent disposal areas
    • Ecological assessment
    • Acid sulphate soils investigation and management plan


Top of page Top of page