banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Dwelling house

Dwelling house

Affordable living opportunities are a strong focus of our City Plan. To provide our residents with a variety of housing choices, the City has made it easier and more affordable to develop different types of living options. A dwelling house is just one of the many residential choices to cater for our growing population.

A dwelling house is considered a single household that is for residential purposes.

Do I require a building approval?

If you are building a dwelling house you will need a building approval. Building approvals can be obtained by contacting a private certifier. Please see the Private building certifiers page for further information.

Do I require a development approval?

A dwelling house does not usually require a development application when in a residential zone.

An exception to this would be when a City Plan overlay may raise the category of development or assessment and trigger the need for a development approval. Refer to the do I need a development approval page for further information and instructions.

Do I require the City as a referral agency?

The design and siting of buildings and structures within the City of Gold Coast area is regulated by a combination of the City Plan and the siting requirements of part 3 of the Building Act 1975, therefore you may require the City as a referral agency for design and siting matters.

Please refer to the Referral Agency Assessment application page for further information.

Who can I contact for more information?

For building related matters, you will need to engage a private Building Certifier. Please see the private building certifier page for further information.

For planning related matters, If you have any questions regarding building a dwelling house, please call contact our Planning Enquiries Centre on 07 5582 8708 or email:

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page