banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Private certifier information

Private certifier information

We comply with the Planning Act 2016, archiving building approvals and certification information. We must keep this information for a specified time and make it available for inspection and purchase to those authorised to do so.

An accredited private certifier must archive the following documents within five business days of execution to satisfy properly made requirements:

  • Notice of Engagement (Form 56)
  • Notice of Discontinuance (Form 22)
  • Lapsing an Approval (Form 57)
  • Application details (Forms 1 and 2)
  • Decision Notice, approved plans and any other documentation attributed to the approval
  • completion details, including:
    • Inspection Certificate (Form 16)
    • Compliance Certificate for building design or specification (Form 15)
    • Final Swimming Pool Fencing Certificate (Form 17) 
    • Final Inspection Certificate (Form 21) 
    • Certificate of Classification (Form 11)
    • any other documents relating to the certification and acceptance of the completed building work
  • payment of a one-off fee, to be paid on archiving of the building approval. Please refer to our Register of fees and charges for information about archiving fees and refunds.

Combustible cladding

Effective as of 1 October 2018, the Queensland Government implemented new laws within the Building Regulation 2006 (Building and Other Legislation Cladding Amendment Regulation 2018) regarding the use of combustible cladding on buildings to address safety concerns.

Owners of buildings must register their buildings with the Queensland Government and complete the combustible cladding checklist.

Industry professionals and fire engineers can visit the Queensland Government Safer Buildings resources website and download the following forms:

  • Safer Buildings Form 34 - Building Industry Professional
  • Safer Buildings Form 35 - Fire Engineer Statement.

Submit the completed form using one of the methods below.

Archiving of privately certified building approvals

Building approval documentation such as notice of engagement, discontinuance, lapsing and inspection certificates, can be archived with the City either online, via mail or in person.


Use the online form below to lodge your documentation with the City for archiving.

Submit privately certified application

Register for My Account

The City has a new information technology system for major customer, property and revenue functions. As part of this new system, you can register for My Account – a secure online portal to lodge applications, access your information, request services and manage your accounts from one location.

You will need to sign in to My Account to use our ‘pay later’ option when submitting an application and requesting an invoice for payment. With My Account, you will also have 24/7 convenience to:

  • pay bills and manage your sundry debtor account
  • make service requests and track progress
  • perform property searches
  • update your details
  • lodge and track licence and permit applications
  • lodge and track development applications.

As a registered user of My Account, you have the additional benefit of personal details pre-filled in your service requests and application forms.

For more information and to register, visit My Account.


Approval documentation can be mailed to:

Chief Executive Officer
City of Gold Coast
PO Box 5042

In person

Approval documentation can be submitted at any of our customer services centres.

If you have questions about lodgement, call us on 07 5667 5978.


Related information

Jump to key information
  • How should I prepare my attachments for eArchiving?

    The approval you prepare for online submission to the City should include a maximum of three (3) attached PDF files being forms, supporting documents and plans. Depending on the type of application, not all three sections will need to be provided. For example:

    1. Forms
      • Combine all required forms, for example, Forms 1, 2 and 20, as one single PDF document. Please name the PDF document: Building Application Private Certifier Forms.pdf. Please see the Department of Housing and Public Works website for forms.
    2. Supporting documents
      • Combine all supporting documents/reports as one single PDF document. Please name the PDF document: Building Application Private Certifier Supporting Documentation.pdf.
    3. Plans
      • Combine all plans/drawings as one single PDF document. Please name the PDF document: Building Application Private Certifier Plans.pdf.
  • How should I prepare my attachments for submission of correspondence online?

    The City requires the lodgement information to be provided in two (2) separate PDFs:

    1. Forms
    2. Supporting documents

    Correspondence types include:

    • Notice of engagement
    • Notice of discontinuance
    • Lapsing an approval
    • Inspection certificates
    • Certificate of classification.
  • How can I locate my existing BLD number?

    An existing building application (BLD) number can be located using the City’s PD Online service.


Top of page Top of page