banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services



Garden sheds

A small garden shed for a house can be built without a building approval. Check the list below before you build:

  • only one per site without approval
  • less than 10m2, 2.4 metres high (2.1 metres mean height) and 5.0 metres long
  • no risk for fire spread between buildings, generally this requires 0.9 metres minimum to a boundary or 1.8 metres to another building not associated with the shed.
  • not on common property without consent
  • not over a sewer or stormwater
  • not over an easement or covenant area
  • not in a road setback or waterfront area
  • stormwater is not a nuisance to neighbours.

If you answered yes to any of the above, your shed may still be able to be built but will need a building approval.

Do I require a building approval?

Yes, all sheds other than a small garden shed will need a building approval. Building approvals can be obtained by contacting a private certifier. Please see the private building certifier page for further information.

Do I require siting approval?

Where setback requirements can not be met, a setback approval may be required. This process is often dealt with as part of the building approval by a building certifier.

Do I need an amenity and aesthetics application?

An amenity and aesthetic approval may be needed from us where the shed is large or tall for the block size.

Full details can be found in our Amenity and aesthetics policy.

This process can also be dealt with as part of the building approval by a building certifier.

Who can I contact for more information?

Our Building Certification Group can be contacted on 07 5667 5987 or email

A building designer, architect or building certifier may be also able to assist in the design and approval process.

Related information


Top of page Top of page