banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Infrastructure works

Civil engineering works for infrastructure – subdivision of land

This type of application is associated with subdivision civil engineering work. Civil engineering work is a collection of different elements of the construction process and involves:

  • the installation of reticulated water and sewerage services
  • construction of structures
  • the undertaking of bulk earthwork
  • the undertaking of road construction or kerb and channel work
  • the installation of stormwater drainage including open channel and bridge construction work
  • construction of a non-standard driveway/vehicular crossing.

Note that a change to ground level within this type of application is undertaken as bulk earthworks and does not require a separate change to ground level application. Work is finalised by the sealing of a plan of survey.

Fees are based on a per lot basis per number of newly created lots and cover all works. No additional fees for change to ground level, sediment and erosion control, associated building work or electrical work are required where these are included with the application.

Minor civil engineering works for infrastructure – work external to a development site

This type of application is associated with the construction of a footpath external to a development site or the reconstruction of kerb and channel across the frontage of a development site or other minor civil engineering work on an individual lot. It is often associated with building work. Assessment is as for civil engineering work.

Fees are based on minor civil work and a reduced fee rate is applicable.

Civil engineering works for infrastructure for connection to and/or re-routing of City services

This type of application is associated with the approval of the redirection of City of Gold Coast owned/maintained services within the site and/or the connection to an internal or external City owned/maintained stormwater open drain or pipe system to approve and accept a legal point of discharge.

It is also associated with the approval of the connection to or the redirection of an internal or external reticulated sewer pipe or water main. These applications are mostly associated with new commercial and industrial development sites and would generally result from a previous plumbing and drainage application, or as a result of new building construction works.

The City does not generally have jurisdiction under AS3500 to approve work outside the subject site, and more importantly, does not assess internal stormwater drainage when assessing a plumbing and drainage application. The applicant will still need to obtain a separate quotation in relation to any final connection to services (live works). Operational work assessment does not have any jurisdiction over internal private stormwater drainage within the site as it is assessed under AS3500 provisions or through plan approval process.

Electrical engineering works for infrastructure

It is essential that all engineering drawings are signed by a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) and that the completed Land Development Guidelines Appendix A and B are provided.

Plans submitted by an RPEQ electrical engineer for electrical engineering works for street lighting, overhead and underground cabling and the installation of traffic signals, are to be signed by the electrical engineer certifying that the street lighting design complies with the relevant lighting standard as applicable to the road classification that is notated in the planning approval for Material Change of Use or Reconfiguration of Lot. This should also include a section for park lighting as applicable.

Assessment of underground cabling is not completed by the City as this is the jurisdiction of Energex. However, Energex require an approval letter from the City for such works. This is the reason that the City’s approval letter for electrical works is only a preliminary approval requiring the final approval from Energex.

Note: City only approves the location and standard of lighting. There are no fees associated with electrical works applications.

This type of application is associated with the following different types of work:

  • Installation of Rate 2 and 3 street lighting - This type of application is associated with new street lighting and/or electrical cabling work within public roads and parks. Energex may require approval from City for any deviation from the standard alignment for electrical cabling.
  • Electrical cabling and lighting within private development sites - This type of application is associated with electrical cabling and street lighting work within private community title type development sites. As stated in the standard letter, assessment by City is not required but Energex requires that the developer provide a letter from the City acknowledging receipt of drawings. Minor external cabling work associated with the development and the installation of a Rate 2 street light at the development entrance could be approved as an additional notation to the standard letter.
  • Installation of overhead cabling - This type of application is associated with overhead electrical cabling work and can also include street lighting. Proposed overhead cabling other than in rural areas (refer to Land Development Guidelines) needs to be referred to the senior subdivision engineer for his acceptance and/or comments. City requires up to 11Kv to be placed underground in urban areas. Exceptions are permitted where development application conditions permit.
  • Installation of traffic signals - This type of application is applicable to approval of traffic signal installations. Applications when lodged are referred to the Traffic Management and Operations Branch for their review and comment. The standard set of notes from the Traffic Management and Operations Branch and any other comments from them is included in each decision notice. The joint use of traffic signal poles and street lighting fixtures is a requirement and the lighting is to be Rate 3.

The construction of a driveway/vehicular crossing (VXO)

An Operational Works application is required for the construction of a driveway/vehicular crossing where such driveway or crossing is considered to be non-standard because it does not conform to the details and requirements contained and notated on City’s standards and referenced IPWEAQ drawing within the City Plan. Where a proposed driveway/vehicular crossing does conform to the details and requirements contained and notated on City’s standards and referenced IPWEAQ drawings within the City Plan, the application is assessed by the Development Building Compliance section of the City as a VXO permit application that utilises an application form. Find the permit application form on the bottom of the Vehicular crossings and driveways page.

Refer to the forms and applications section below for links to the forms and to apply online.

For application fees, see our Register of fees and charges.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page