National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Hostel accommodation

It is a requirement for City of Gold Coast to monitor the standard of operations in rental accommodation premises such as hostel/backpackers accommodation. This is to ensure the health and safety of its occupants.

Applying for a new hostel accommodation licence

Select from the drop-down headings below for more information.

Is a licence required?

A licence is required where the premises is used for the accommodation of one or more households where each resident:

  • has a right to occupy one or more rooms
  • does not have a right to occupy the whole of the premises in which the rooms are situated
  • may be provided with separate facilities for private use
  • may share communal facilities or communal space, with one or more of the other residents.

The use may include:

  • rooms not in the same building on site
  • provision of a food or other service
  • on-site management or staff and associated accommodation.

How to apply

Before submitting your application, you should ensure the site has the appropriate development approval to prevent your application being delayed.

Once the above has been obtained, complete and submit a hostel accommodation licence application.

To avoid delays in processing your application, please ensure the following supporting information is included with your application:

  • Site plan / floor plan detailing access to and egress from the accommodation, proposed use of each room, location and type of all rooms, sanitary facilities, laundry facilities and shared facilities.
  • Certificate of compliance issued by Queensland Fire & Rescue Service
  • Certificate of classification of building.

No fees are required for this application.

Find a link to the hostel accommodation licence application form below.

Taking over an existing business

Select from the drop-down headings below for more information.

Researching the business

Prior to taking over an existing business you may wish to apply for a health licence search to confirm there is a current approval. This will ensure the current owner is complying with licence conditions.

If you intend to make alterations to the site, you may need further development and/or building approval. We will contact you if additional information is required to process your application.

Find a link to the hostel accommodation licence application and Search Request forms below.

Transfer of a hostel accommodation licence

If you are taking over an existing licensed hostel, the current licence holder may apply to transfer the licence. The land owner must be aware of the application and have granted their consent. No fees apply.

Find a link to the Transfer of licence application form below.

Information for existing businesses

Select from the drop-down headings below for more information.

Amendments to a hostel accommodation licence

You will need to submit an amendment application for the following reasons:

  • changes to your business or contact information,
  • modifying your operation or
  • requesting a change to conditions of approval.

No fees apply.

Find a link to the hostel accommodation licence amendment application form below.

Licence renewal

Hostel accommodation licences are renewed annually and are valid until 31 August each year. No fees apply for licence renewal.

Lost or damaged licence or documentation

Please note that fees apply for this request and are detailed on the application form.

Find a link to the hostel accommodation licence – replacement approval documentation application form below.

How to comply

It is the responsibility of you and your staff to ensure compliance with all requirements of the relevant legislation. This includes:

  • Local Law No. 16.6 (Licensing) 2008
  • Subordinate Local Law No. 16.1 (Rental Accommodation) 2008.

The City monitors the standard of hostel accommodation operations through a routine inspection program. The frequency of inspections is determined by the type of premises being operated and its level of compliance. Refer to the links below.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page