National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Roadside vending

Roadside vending can involve travelling from place to place on a road and the waving down of the person operating the roadside vending by a customer (mobile roadside vending) or the activity being established in one place (stationary roadside vending).

Such activities must not pose a risk to road safety. City of Gold Coast regulates roadside vendors to ensure activities are carried out in a safe manner for pedestrians and road users.

Note: roadside vending approval does not apply to roadside dining activities.

Select from the drop-down headings below for more information:

Is a permit required for mobile or stationary roadside vending?

Mobile roadside vending

Roadside vendors conduct commercial supply of goods or services that are ready for sale, or available in a short period (e.g. pre-packaged goods and coffee) on a road. Strict conditions apply to the use of this roadside vending permit:

  • Vending must be conducted on roads only - the sale of such goods in parks, including parking areas within parks and on beaches is prohibited.
  • This is a ‘wave down’ down permit, i.e. the operator must be waved down in order to make a sale.
  • Stopping time on the roadside is limited to the duration of the sale (waiting for customers is not allowed).
  • Operators are prohibited from selling their products or services within 250 metres of a fixed food premises that is open and provides the same, or similar, goods or services.

Stationary roadside vending

Stationary roadside vending differs from mobile roadside vending as it is established in one place. Conditions that apply to the use of this type of permit are as follows:

  • The operation must not be located within a five kilometre radius of a retail shop, other commercial premises, or another stationary vending operation, that sells or provides similar products or services.
  • Hours of operation must not adversely affect the amenity of the neighbourhood.

Contact our Licensing and Approvals team 07 5667 5987 if you need clarification about whether your business needs either of the above roadside vending permits.

Note: Anything undertaken by a charitable, religious, non-profit community, educational or political entity does not require a food licence.

For more information about food licence criteria, visit the City's Knowledge Network - Toolbox or call us on 07 5667 5987.

How to apply

Complete a mobile or stationary roadside vending permit application form and submit, along with payment, at a City customer service centre or by post to PO Box 5042 GCMC QLD 9726.

No fees are required for a roadside vending permit application (conditions apply). Where an applicant is not eligible for nil fees, fees are stated on the form. Payment options are also specified.

Please ensure the necessary documentation is attached to your application. Find useful resources to help you get your application started on the City’s Knowledge Network – Toolbox website.

If you are taking over an existing business, you will need to complete a new application. There are no transfer provisions for approval.

Once approved, the permit will be valid until 31 August next, unless otherwise specified by the applicant or the City (or unless cancelled or suspended).

Find a link to the roadside vending permit application form below.

Permit renewal

Permits are renewed annually and are valid until 31 August of each year.

  • If there are no change of details to your existing permit, visit our Payments page to find out how to renew your permit online, by phone or by post.
  • If details on your existing permit require amendment, contact us on 07 5667 5987 or visit a customer service centre.

Amendments to a roadside vending permit

For minor changes to your licence, such as change of contact details, you can call us on 07 5667 5987.

Changes to the location of your site will require a new application with the City.

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page