banner image
Road safety

The City works with the education and community sector, advocacy groups and the state and federal government to provide a safe, functional transport system for all.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Motorbikes in parks and reserves

Motorbike riding is a popular leisure activity, both on and off road, but there are strict rules governing where they can be ridden.

It is illegal to ride motorbikes or drive other vehicles in all Gold Coast parks and reserves.

Dirt bike rear wheel on the grass

Motorbikes are prohibited in these areas because they can impact negatively on the community in a number of ways.

  • noise and dust affects neighbours and disturbs wildlife
  • erosion and damage to soil and vegetation
  • safety of residents and visitors legitimately using these public spaces.

Where to ride your motorbike

Motorbike Leaning in a turn

Currently there are no public facilities within the Gold Coast where you can legally ride an off-road motorbike.

There are various organisations and facilities that cater for motorbike riding in other areas. Some information on where you can ride legally is provided below.

If you have a valid motorbike licence and your bike is fully registered and roadworthy, you can ride on publicly accessible roads.

The law

The administration of laws relating to motorbikes in prohibited areas may be shared between the City of Gold Coast and the Queensland Police Service (Police). The regulation of unlicensed drivers, unregistered and unroadworthy motorbikes, and driver behaviour is a police responsibility.

Police have the power to apprehend, arrest and issue penalties to persons found riding motorbikes illegally. This includes unlicensed riders and unregistered or unroadworthy motorbikes. In addition, a 2002 amendment to the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 provides police with the power to confiscate and impound vehicles that are ridden in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke. Police may apply for permanent confiscation of a motorbike for repeat offenders. Parents or Legal Guardians of minors may be liable for penalties and costs for releasing impounded vehicles.

City Law officers and rangers regularly patrol City parks and reserves for breaches of Local Laws in response to complaints and in conjunction with the police as required. Police are authorised to issue on-the-spot infringement notices to offenders found riding motorbikes in these public spaces. In certain circumstances, City Law officers may also issue on-the-spot infringement notices. Fines currently range from $243 up to Court-imposed penalties of $5,000.

Report illegal motorbike activity

Motorbike sliding in the dirt

The City encourages the community to report all incidences of motorbikes in City parks and reserves directly to the police:

  • Triple Zero (000) - emergencies only
  • Police Link 131 444 for non-urgent issues
    (or 07 3055 6206 for interstate / mobile callers)
  • Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 (anonymous).

When reporting please provide the operator with as much information as possible including location, date/time, motorbike colour/registration, rider description/helmet colour, and where they may have originated from. The City recommends persons observe discretely and do not approach riders.

On-road motorcycle safety

Information about on-road motorcycles and licensing can be found on our Motorcycle safety page or by contacting Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads by calling 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

Related information

Jump to key information


Top of page Top of page