The Gold Coast is home to a wide range of plant and animal species. We usually co-exist quite peacefully, but sometimes you might encounter an animal that needs assistance or has become a nuisance.

On this page you will find information on:

Assisting injured wildlife

If you find an orphaned, sick or injured animal keep calm and assess the situation.

Call for help

Call the RSPCA call centre to report sick, injured or orphaned animals on 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625) or Wildcare Australia (07 5527 2444). The RSPCA can help with anything from marine strandings to roadside injuries. They will either attend or refer you to a local wildlife or domestic organisation, animal carer or wildlife rehabilitator.

You can also take an injured animal to Currumbin Wildlife Hospital if you have access to transport and are happy to handle the animal.

Handling animals

Do not handle flying-foxes or bats. If you find a sick, injured or orphaned flying-fox or bat, Do not handle flying-foxes or bats. If you find a sick, injured or orphaned flying-fox or bat, contact Bats QLD on 0447 222 889.

Birds which have fallen from their nests are happier if reunited with their natural parents. Check to see if its parents are around and watch for swooping. If you must return the bird to its nest, it's best to do so after dark.

If the animal is small and easily handled, place it in a box and put somewhere dark and quiet and out of reach of children, pets and other disturbances.

Place larger animals in a box or washing basket to protect and calm them.

Managing deceased animals

To report a dead animal in Council parks, along footpaths or roads:

After business hours, this number will offer an option to enter '1' to be diverted to our After Hours Emergency Service number.

To report dead animals on major roads (motorways and highways), contact Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40.

Nuisance native animals

Our backyards, parks, school grounds and paddocks are designed for people, but are also a unique habitat for native animals that live in grassy, lightly treed areas.

Some native animals exhibit nuisance behaviour like swooping or eating local plants, but the benefits of living with wildlife outweigh the negative impacts.

Native wildlife is protected under the Queensland Nature Conservation Act 1992.

Council does not offer a removal service for species like:

  • magpies or butcher birds on private property
  • possums
  • snakes on private property
  • wild pigeons.

Residents who experience problems with these animals should contact a private contractor.

Find some tips below about managing some of the species you may encounter in your urban area. The Queensland Government also offers helpful advice on living with wildlife, including magpies, brush turkeys, and possums.

Flying foxes

You could incur a considerable fine if you unlawfully disturb flying foxes.

For more information on flying-foxes visit our Flying foxes page.

Magpies and butcher birds

Swooping and aggressive birds can cause a risk to public safety.

For information on how to avoid attacks from swooping birds or report being hit by a swooping bird, please visit Report a problem – Animals. Scroll down to Swooping birds.


It is an offence to kill, injure or take snakes from the wild.

Snakes usually prefer to retreat when encountered but can become defensive if they feel threatened.

Most snake bites are received by people who try to capture or kill a snake. If you encounter a snake, don't panic. Back away to a safe distance and allow the snake to move away.

If you wish to remove a snake located on private property, you should hire a qualified snake catcher.

If you witness a snake on Council land that you believe poses a risk to the public, contact us on 1300 GOLD COAST (1300 465 326) or 07 5629 5629 to arrange an inspection.

Keeping native wildlife

Queensland’s native wildlife are protected by State Government nature conservation legislation.

To keep certain protected birds, reptiles or amphibians on your property you may need to apply for a native animal keeping licence.

If you have an active Recreational Wildlife Licence (RWL), you can continue to use this until it expires. Once your active RWL expires, you will need to apply for one of the new licences.

To find out more about permits and keeping native animals, visit the Queensland Government web page or phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).